CALIFORNIA Outdoor Educator
Avid4 Adventure, has been voted one of Outside Magazine’s Best Places to Work, for the past 5 years and counting! We are hiring Outdoor Educators to work with youth pre-K through 7th grade, in CALIFORNIA, summer 2020! Come spend your summer, in beautiful state parks, inspiring kids through: mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding and learning survival skills! We provide all sport-training for our staff!
Starting pay $18.51/hr Relevant outdoor and teaching certifications/degrees qualify applicants for increased compensation. Instructors are the cornerstone of our team, providing support, mentorship, and instruction to our youth with enthusiasm and passion.
The CORE Responsibilities of an Instructor:
Happy Kids, Passionate Staff, and Stellar Programs
- Provide age and developmentally- appropriate instruction in mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, Leave No Trace (LNT) principles, and team building
- Co-lead, with your co-instructor, an activity group of up to 13 youth through outdoor adventures on or off-site (dependent on participant age group and program)
- Serve as a role model and guide campers in appropriate behavior, attitudes, and activities
- Organize and participate in programming, including outdoor sports and games
- Provide exceptional customer service to parents and all participants in our programs
- Be a member of a dynamic staff team and take an active role in the evaluation of youth, programs, and staff
- Minimum 19 years of age and a sincere passion for working with kids
- First Aid and CPR prior to the start date. Staff with Wilderness First Aid (WFA), Wilderness First Responder (WRF) or higher do receive additional compensation.
- Personal experience in at least one of our core sports: mountain biking, rock climbing, paddling or hiking.
- Staff training: begins in early June
- Dates: Mid-June - Mid-August (Any potential scheduling conflicts can be discussed during an interview.)
- Work week: Monday - Friday, about 40 hours/week
- CA Locations: Mill Valley, Oakland, Orinda, Burlingame, Palo Alto (see our other postings for sites in Colorado and Minnesota)
- International students are welcome to apply! Please contact email@example.com with any questions
- Resume tips! In as much detail as possible, highlight any outdoor experience you have (ex. personal recreation and skill level, Eagle Scouts, climbing/biking/camping club, relevant courses, certifications etc.) and experience with youth (ex. volunteer mentor, babysitter, tutor, teaching assistant, camp worker, RA who's done a lot of team building games and activities etc.). Mention age range, group size, skills taught and any relevant training you received.
- To view all positions and apply: www.AVID4.com/jobs/positions Only applications submitted through our website will be reviewed! Applications are being reviewed now; apply early to secure your top choice for location and position.
- Increased Pay: While not required, we would like to recognize those with advanced experience. We increase pay for relevant certifications and licenses ex. valid driver’s license (any state), EMT, WFA, WFR, Teaching degrees etc. Note that for CA Residents, we will pay for your California Commercial Drivers License (CDL) study time, exam time, exam fees AND will increase your pay when you receive your CDL.
- Free Gear Access: You will have free access to all of our gear when not working so that you can kayak, SUP and mountain bike with your friends and family!
- Discounts for gear and climbing gyms: We sell off all our gear every summer and instructors get first pick and a discount. We also get significant discounts at over 100 major outdoor retailer brands and discounts to 9 local climbing gyms!
- Public transportation: Instructors that use public transportation to get to and from work can submit receipts at the end of each month for reimbursement.
- Instructor Housing Program: https://avid4.com/jobs/instructor-housing-options/
- Employee trips at subsidized price (i.e. Moab Spring Camping Trip for mountain biking and climbing)
- Races and competitions: Reimbursement of up to $50 per year for any race/competition, event or fundraiser involving our core sports.
- Parental perks: Significantly discounted educational programs for employee’s children.
- Certification subsidies: Returning staff are eligible for
- Adventure Grants and Outdoor Certs Scholarships: Returning seasonal staff are eligible to apply for:
- 1) up to $100 reimbursement for climbing, biking, paddling or LNT certs.
- 2) The Adventure Grant competition to receive a United Airlines round trip ticket anywhere in the world and a travel stipend
- 3) The Ethan Gillett Memorial Scholarship to pay for a NOLS Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or American Mountain Guide Association Single Pitch Instructor Certification (AMGA SPI) course.
- New Staff, Alumni, and Returning staff are eligible to recommend friends to apply to Avid4Adventure. They should list your full name as a 'source' on their application and you'll automatically be entered to win TWO round trip tickets to anywhere in the world on us! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.